(English) Report: Exchange Debate in 1996
The history of Japan-US Exchange Debate is explained by AONUMA , Satoru *3
An exchange debate program between U.S. and Japan started in1928, when a three-person team from Hawaii visited Japan under thesponsorship of the University of Hawaii and the Pan-Pacific Union. After the Second World War, the program revived owing to the efforts by professors of the University of Hawaii and Japan’s Sophia University in 1969.
From the year 1976 to the present, the program has been conducted by SCA’s Committee of International Discussion and Debate (CIDD), and every year it provides American and Japanese students with opportunities for debate and discussion across their cultural andnational boundaries.(*4)
Participants of Exchange Debate
Participants list of Japan-US Exchange Debate after JDA committed.
- 1986 AONUMA, Satoru (Dokkyo Univ.) – partner unknown
- 1988 IKEYA, Azuma (Waseda Univ. E.S.A)- YAMASHITA, Yuzuru (Dokkyo Univ.)
- 1990 KITABAYASHI, Hideaki (Dokkyo Univ.) – NAKAMURA (Sophia Univ.)
- 1992 YANO, Yoshiro (Univ. of Tokyo) – OHURA, Hiroshi (Nagoya Univ.)
- 1994 KURANO, Miruhiro(Dokkyo Univ.) – YAMANAKA, Reiji(Hitotsubashi Univ.)
- 1996 MOROKA, Junya (Dokkyo Univ.) – YAMAMURA ,Takeshi (Univ. of Tokyo)
II. Detail of 1996 Japan-US Exchange Debate Tour
JDA Coordinator: YANO, Yoshiro *5CIDD Coordniator: Tom Goodnight *6
Exchange Debate employs these three propositions as follows:
- a) Resolved: That the Japan-United States Security Treaty should be terminated.
- b) Resolved: That further bilateral efforts should be undertaken to redress trade imbalances between the United States and Japan.
- c) Resolved: Private ownership of guns should be significantly curtailed.
C. Schedule of Tour
|Date||Host Universities or Colleges||(style)||/ State|
|Feb.||24-27||University of Southern California||(NDT)||/ California|
|27-29||California State University Fresno||(Parliamentary)||/ California|
|Mar.||29-02||Creighton University||(Parliamentary)||/ Nebraska|
|02-04||Northwestern University||(NDT)||/ Illinois|
|04-06||Abilene Christian University||(Parliamentary)||/ Texas|
|06-08||Asbury College||(Lincoln)||/ Kentucky|
|08-10||North Central College||(Lincoln)||/ Illinois|
|10-13||Missouri Southern University||(CEDA)||/ Missouri|
|13-16||Hanover College||(??)||/ Indiana|
|16-19||University of Georgia||(NDT)||/ Georgia|
|19-22||Furman University||(Parliamentary)||/ South Carolina|
|22-25||Emerson College||(??)||/ Boston|
|25-28||American University||(CEDA)||/ Washington D.C.|
|Apr.||28-02||Wake Forest University||(NDT)||/ North Carolina|
the number of persons 15 -200
E. Debate format
Tom Goodnight, CIDD Coordinator of this event, recommends a following format to host universities for audience debate.
Format of Debate
- First Affirmative Constructive Speech 8 minutes
- First Negative Constructive Speech 8 minutes
- Second Affirmative Constructive Speech 8 minutes
- Second Negative Constructive Speech 8 minutes
- Cross Examination Period 10-15 minutes
- Questions by Audience 10-15 minutes
- First Negative Rebuttal Speech 4(or 5) minutes
- First Affirmative Rebuttal Speech 4(or 5) minutes
# There are some different points between so called NDT format. For example, no preparation and only 1 rebuttal speech are given, cross examination time are settled only after 2nd constructive speech.
#Meetings before debate rounds are held at half universities.
F. Main activities of Tour
Schedule depends on host universities. Main activities are as follows.
- Participation to Lecture
- Sight Seeing
- Campus Tour
- Others—a. courtesy visits to presidents; b. interview with TV, News paper
G typical schedule (Missouri Southern University
Sunday, March 10th
10.55 a.m. Team arrives. Tulsa, American Flight #1839
4p.m. Free Time
Monday, March 11th
9:00a.m. Tour of Campus
10:00a.m. Meeting with Dr. Jeon, College President
10:30a.m. Meeting with Dr. Bitterbaum, Vice President
11:00a.m. Dr. Spensor’s International Justice System Class
12:00a.m. Dr. Merriam’s International Communication Class
1:00p.m. Interview on Jean Campbell’s Showcase
2:00p.m. Dr. Merriam’s Political and Social Communicaiton Class.
3:00- Rest, relax for dinner
8:00p.m. Open for leisure activities or personal time
Tuesday, March 12th
9:30a.m. Dr. Dworkin’s English Composition Class
10:00a.m.- Open time
3:00p.m.- Debate preparation/rest and personal time
7:00p.m.- Debate with Missouri Southern squad
Wednesday, March 13th
7:30a.m. Check out from hotel
10:30a.m. Depart Tulsa, Delta Flight 1556
*1. a graduate of Dokkyo Univ. in 1995
*2. a senior student at Univ. of Tokyo , a president of NAFA
*3. a graduate of Dokkyo Univ. in 1986, completed a master’s degree at Univ. of Aiowa
*4.Satoru Aonuma, “American Debate Practice: Reflections of Japanese Exchange Debater,” Paper presented to Central States Communication Association Annual Convention, Missouri, April 1989
*5. a research assistant at Univ. of Tokyo
*6. a professor at Northwestern University